Saturday, July 3, 2010

Percy Jackson and The Olympians Quick Review

Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The lightning thief is a movie based on a novel, the first one of the Percy Jackson series, written by Rick Riordan.
The first thing I noticed is the movie starts with an argument between Zeus and Poseidon (played by Kevin McKidd, aka Vorenus from ”Rome”). Zeus states that Poseidon's son stole his Lightning, the most powerful weapon that exists and that he has a 14 days deadline to return it or there will be war.
In the book there's a little suspance, since it starts describing Percy who is god damn 12 not fucking 18 like in the movie, and how weird things happen to him.
I don't blame Chris Columbus for spoiling something that could have been kept a secret for at least 15 - 20 minutes of film, but for changing the characters' ages. And why the hell did he cut out Mr. D, the camp director? He was an interesting character.
Anyway, I suppose it's not fair criticising the movie because the director had a different vision, so let's see what can we make of this movie.
As a fantasy movie it's not bad at all. As a movie, in general, it's good to watch when you don't have anything better to do. This is one of those movies you could watch with your family in a Sunday evening with the popcorn and soda/beer ready. Me, I liked this movie, despite all the negative critics it gets because of the changes Columbus made to the story. I'd gave it a 8.5/10 without exagerating. I guess the 5.8 (LOL) it got on IMDB is based on the fact I overlooked, so I guess I gave it an extra point because Alexandra Daddario is so hot!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment