Thursday, January 6, 2011

Scooby Dooby Drew!

Since I took a break these days, I had the time to play a few games as well. I took on Nancy Drew Shadow at the Water's Edge. You'll say the series is targeted for female gamers, but wtf does it mean I can't enjoy a good mistery or what? I know that game's been out for a few months now, but I never had the time or desire to play it. First of all I was busy with my daily routine and second I had to do finish the Sherlock Holmes playthrough in my free time. Anyway, let's leave the past to the past and welcome 2011 warmly.
So, Nancy Drew. This game left me the impression of a Scooby Doo case (as you could see from the title). It starts off like this. You're Nancy Drew. You came to a japanese ryokan (a traditional inn), sent by mr Krolmeister, who awarded you for the success of the previous case (Trail of the Twister). As the story progresses you see ghosts and stuff making you think the place is haunted. Then there's this fortune teller who has you differentiate fake from real.. and finally, at the end of the game I'm left with the impression that THIS was a Scooby Doo case, staring Velma and missing the other characters. Jeez. I can't reveal more as it would mean spoiling the end, but the outcome is exactly like a SD case.
Also, I'm disappointed in the "two endings" thing. You really shouldn't bother saving the game and trying to finish the game both ways (there's a line choice to say to the culprit in the end, and based on that, you'll see a different ending). There's no big difference except for the bad guy having another fate.
All in one, it was a good game, I enjoyed the puzzles (yet there was A LOT of Sudoku to do - I don't complain, I like it) but I hated the final puzzle (the Nonogram). I never liked it, in fact. I've met that kind of a puzzle in Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Mummy. Fortunately there was a little trick to get rid of it without solving it in that game, but I won't reveal it! I mean, why should I? You have brains, figure it out!
Her Interactive does a really great job with these games, and I would suggest you guys to support them (as well as Telltale games who release Back to the Future games nowadays). Seriously, buy the game, it's only 20 bucks.
Finally, I think I could easily give this game a 9/10 rating. Good work, Her Interactive and keep making games like this! They're awesome!

0 comments:

Post a Comment